Thursday, December 16, 2010

Road Bike or Mountain Bike ?

I have been frequently asked this same question and I have also asked the same question to many people before I start to invest on my third bicycle. I have a Raleigh Road Bike to start off with and I purchased a Scott Contessa Road Bike as well. Since I have always been a roadie, so my next bicycle will naturally move on to have a Triathlon Aerodynamic Bicycle. Instead I have chosen to own a mountain bike as my third bike; again it is a Scott Contessa Hardtail Bike.
I have been a roadie for quite some time and found out that my skills have already arrived to a bottle neck. Suddenly it all became waking up at wee hours, keep chasing the front person’s butt just to catch up with the peloton and catch onto the drift, burn and bake by the hot sun, smell of exhausts from cars etc, I found myself losing the fun of cycling. There should be more than that.

Once my mind start to think and wants more then the challenges for me kicks in. I have always dislike the thought of trying mountain biking. Really don’t no why mountain biking is just not appealing to me all these while till recently. After my friend let me borrow his bike and started to learn it bit by bit, start from learning why there are three cranks and so many gears, how to use them when to use them etc. After I can really catch on the mountain bike gearing part before I can start to enjoy mountain biking.

Mountain and Road biking’s differences to me is Mountain biking is very technical and Road Biking is all about endurance and speed. Keep doing Road biking will keep my physical condition at top form for the hectic & demanding Mountain biking session. Mountain biking takes alot of time to perfect the technical skills, but the rewards are great when you smell not exhausts from cars but the greeny grass smell, cycling into soft mud, come out like being inside a mud bath, but of cos the down side to it are those Mozzies and Leeches Yikes, so overall speaking I love both Cycling on and off road.

I found myself in a progressive graph which started from Don’t even know how to cycle, only attend indoor cycling classes to learning my 1st road bike then onto learning 2nd mountain bike, so now what next ? Well, I have not tried an Aerodynamic Triathlon bike, BMX, Full Suspension Downhill Bike, Single Speed Bike, Foldable Bike, Electric Bike etc yet so guess there will be more and more for me to explore in the coming future, so people, stop wondering Road or Mountain, just get yourself committed to get started on cycling, it opened up my eyes, I see Malaysia and the world in a much different way than most people.

Cycling took me to places in Malaysia whereby many Malaysians not even heard of or step foot into. I love what this country offers me, not just the hot weather, the food, the politics, the shopping but the simple happy kampong people, their hospitality, their culture, the serene scenery, the jungles etc. I love to be in Malaysia. Cycling also brings out the spirit on what the Malaysia Government is preaching about as well – 1 Malaysia where everyone from every races and every walks on life all comes together to enjoy the same sport of cycling.

Well all said, so what’s the wait? Don’t give anymore reasons, just start to cycle, remember it’s never too late to learn, never too late to start, never too late to try new type of bikes.



on my MTB, cycling makes me so happy


with my road bike

No comments:

Post a Comment