Thursday, December 9, 2010

Welcome to the Sub4 Club - Energizer Night Run 42K – 270310

It all started in year 2007 when I first tasted outdoor sports excitement. My first outdoor run was 21K Penang Bridge Marathon and first started to learn how to ride a road bicycle in the same year. It was so life-changing for me from that point onwards, everything was history. I started to take part in Duathlons, Triathlons, Ironman, after I learn mountain biking then I join Xterra & adventure races. This year I also started to challenge myself to the extreme and took part in Kapas Marang 6.5k Swimathon as well.

Despite doing all these, I realize that my running ability for some time now as I felt I excel more in running amidst everything that I do. I love it, I love running as running is one of my passion, so I did not feel so gruesome when doing long distances. My favorite is always more than 21k, 30k and 42k. I failed my 84k attempt so will have to train hard for this in the future to make it up for my race profile.

Everyone who has been taking part in running will set a target, a goal for themselves to achieve. Many of us will set a Sub 5, Sub 4 finish as our goals. Set up the goal is easy, try to achieve and maintain it to make the timing better is the hardest part.

I have always wanted to get into the Sub 4 Club. It took me at least 7 attempts from the year I started outdoor running till the 8th time I finally reached there. Lots of time, sweat, and perseverance finally I am a member of this Sub 4 Club. Below are my full marathon progresses in record.

1) Standard Chartered (Singapore) 2007 - 4hrs 43mins
2) Standard Chartered (Hong Kong) 2008 – 4hrs 18mins
3) Ambank (Kuala Lumpur) – 4hrs 43mins
4) Standard Chartered (Kuala Lumpur) 2009 – 4hrs 05mins
5) Penang Bridge (Malayisa) – 4hrs 05mins
6) Standard Chartered (Singapore) 2009 – 4hrs 07mins
7) Putrajaya Night Marathon 2010 – 4hrs 27mins
8) Energizer Night Run – 3hrs 50mins

Running can consider to be easy when you can run at a relax pace and hard when you have a set target to reach. Running a Sub 4hrs is never an easy attempt for me. My running times fluctuates a lot which involves a lot of elements to be considered. If you did not have a good day, no matter how hard you have prepared for it, still the goal is hard to reach. Sub 4 is always a blunder for me. This year was no different; the only different was my determination to reach for it and to try my best to make this happen.

I met my pacer Kenny during Penang Bridge Marathon in 2009, he could feel my determination to reach Sub 4, so he contacted me online and we discussed about this and he willingly try to pace me to reach for my goal. This year I started to work for Fitness Concept and I am responsible for their roadshow events. I was very busy handling many things, I have many different sporting interests like road and mountain bike cycling which took up so much of my time, so I was so lacking behind on my long distance and speed work on running training.

The only time I could be running was before I started work everyday and during roadshow event. The activity which we were conducting was an Indoor Triathlon Challenge whereby there were three sets of cardio machines, Treadmill, Cross Trainer and Upright Bike. Every participant had to spend 10mins on each machine to complete within half an hour. It was difficult to find participants at first, we conducted two sessions everyday in which I have to be one of the participant most of the days. I did not expect that this type of Intensive Training could help me improve my timing so much during the Energizer run.

I called it Intensive Training because within 10mins on each cardio machine, I had to really put myself to the max to achieve the longest distance that I could. At first I did not realize I will improve my timing distance at all as I simply just an add on to take part in that challenge so I did not take it too seriously. We recorded everyone’s distances and over a period of several days, Kenny realizes my timing was improving. He kept encouraging me to try to run at a 10.9km/hr rate and see how long I could sustain it in order to prepare for this run. I tried and IT WORKED !!!

I was running late to the start of the run because I was tied up in the roadshow. I was tired and fed up already due to lots of running around here and there, could not even locate where we should park our car to get onto the feeder bus and get to the start. So frustrated. At last I arrive, but everyone was gone already, the race has started. Kenny was waiting for me under the starting arch, I still have to take my time to go and clear my system before I could run. We started from the last of the pack.

Gradually we progress on speed to move up the pack. I saw my friend Jen dress up with her bunny ears to cheer everyone up, John and others were on their bicycle to accompany us along. We started at 6pm and the weather was just so hot and humid. Kenny kept encouraging me, he kept telling me stories to ease my pressure and slowly without me knowing it, I kept up with the fast pace.

We bumped into many friends and Kenny introduces many along the way for me, telling me that these people are always his competitors. We chit chat and happily smiling along the way till darkness creeps in. This year’s Energizer Run clash with Earth Hour, many started putting on their headlights and made the road so pretty like we were running with many fire flies along the way. Cyberjaya was a nice place to run with wide roads, smooth ups and down hills and lots of landmarks. That night the weather was not so bad, a light breeze kept us cool most of the time. There were markers along the way but I don’t think it’s indicating the correct distance at all.

Water station was plenty, with water and Gatorade to help rehydrate us. Upon half way, they did provide us with power gels and bananas. After running more than 30k I could feel the soreness of my legs I think because of lack of training and I did not even have time to stretch at all before the start. Kenny had to push me all the way. I always thought some much stronger girls must be infront of me, so I was just trying to beat my own time and not try to get onto the podium at all. I did not know I am the leading girl already.

I was very emotional at that point, I could not care less about the timing that I could do, I was in pain and still Kenny was trying to push me to my running limit. It was tough and became very tough along the way towards to the last 700m to the finish. I was in tears, I broke down but still manage with a smile while I was screaming in pain. Kenny had to calm me down and keep pushing till we reach the last 700m, I could hear all the cheering at the finishing, my energized self came back and I could not believe I could sprint all the way towards many 21k and 10k finishers and reach the finishing line with a big scream and a huge smile. I DID IT before 4hours!!! Oh My Goodness!!! It was quite a journey for me. I beat the 4hrs 05mins timing which has been a burden and has been teased by so much. Finally I have entered into the Sub 4 Club!!! I went on to become the Women’s Open Category Champion for this race, all thanks to Kenny my pacer.

I am so proud to be a Sub 4 Club member. But being a member of this club requires more perseverance and more pressure than before as once you have entered, you and others have more expectations on you. From now on, I have to maintain my standard to be the member and uphold the qualities of this club and the only thing is to maintain my time or better yet to become better and better, achieve higher and higher.

God, thank you for sending Kenny your running angel for me to push me so hard to reach for this goal which I have been aiming for so long already. I broke into this club and my next goal for road running races would be to revenge on my 84k which I had quit half way through last time and to target for a 3hours 45mins finish for my next 42k Full Marathon.
Last to start.
Smiling all the way while keeping up with Kenny's pace.
Met Mohan Marathon !!!
All smiles, thank you kenny my running angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment