Thursday, December 9, 2010

My Third Full Marathon - KL Ambank 2008

I was still very ecstatic about my SCHK marathon’s result, I didn’t slow down on my practice once I came back to KL. I now work and reside in KL and began to develop a special bonding with this colorful country.

Since I started running outdoor in KL and this will be my first Full Marathon in Malaysia, so it is going to be a memorable event. My preparation work went well, I love my Sunday long runs at Bukit Arman. I don’t have much faith in races that have been held in KL, so this time I am fully prepare for myself. I will bring my own water bottle with jelly bellies and power gel on hand.

On race day, I arrive early to ensure I have a good parking spot for warm up and stretching. Within walking distance I will get to the starting point. I was so happy as I know this race I will see my running buddies again and run together. As I walk pass the traffic, I spotted my Boss- Mr.Lee’s car and in it he came with his son too. I waited for them to arrive at the starting point.

As a small token to myself, I have never been interviewed before on TV. Then suddenly a camera crew came over and they interviewed me about how I felt for this race and my expected time. I have a time in mind. 4hours 15minutes. Then they asked me whether they can find me on the road running later, then I said I would be glad if you can spot me.

We assembled infront of Dataran Merdaka with all the lights lighted up the whole place, very pretty. Clearly KL Ambank’s race participation rate wasn’t as high as in HK. I know that people lost faith and felt disappointed after years of organizing marathons, I really wonder have the organizer care about any improvements at all. I don’t have much faith either and after my run, I felt totally disappointed.

I was very happy that Mr. Lee choose to pace with me. We ran as buddies together cheering and encouraging each other along the dark road. The organizer didn’t try to block the road for us; it was hectic as runners have to pass through heavy traffic. It was really scary when we have to pass through roundabouts. I was disappointed.

Happy to find out that the Astro Sports Crew able to spot me on the road running with Mr. Lee, but other disappointing things are the markers are not clear as I depend on it since my heart rate monitor don’t display distance. Water station was OK. Good that I bought my water bottle with me and I have a small spare one, Mr. Lee already felt the pressure as only every 5Km for a water station. I gave my small bottle to him to carry.

Luckily I bought jelly bellies with me, as we approach the half way point, they don’t distribute power gel at 30Km, to me it was late already. Good that I share my jellies with Mr. Lee. We are both adrenaline addicts encouraging each other on the road. The commoratship is quite an experience for us. I was very happy to know that I got him interested into the world of road cycling too.

I appreciate policeman was doing their job to direct traffic for runners. But organizer also have to brief them on the route too. They don’t seem to know the way at all. As one of the fast African runners ran past us, he ran too fast and he missed the turn, the police let him through without even shouting at him. So other runners like us we have to shout to that runner to turn back to the right direction. What a disappointment.

The run was hard, weather was hot and not enough water station and lack of cheerers, luckily we have one another to cheer each other on the road. I had to stop twice, my legs didn’t cramp but my stomach cramp since 30Km onwards till the end. I felt bad. My time for this race was 4hours 43mins. Quite disappointed but I know I have space for improvement. Looking forward for my next full marathon which will be held at Phuket, Thailand in June.

Running Kaki.
Just finish my race !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment