Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kapas-Marang Swimmathon 180410

All my life, I have never been a good swimmer nor have I ever consider swimming seriously at all. I have been to and registered for many races and events already, but I always dreaded to enter swimmathon because swimming is just never my cup pf tea.

I remember when I was a little girl, my mom used to teach at prestigious La Salle Primary in Hong Kong. She was a Physical Education teacher there. So she put me and my sister in their training pool to have fun. Later on she register us to go for swimming clubs and YMCA’s swimming classes during every summer holiday. I never took all these classes seriously, I just want to go with the flow, learn the skill, that’s about it. Mom always told us that we must learn to be a swimmer so we could save ourselves in danger of the water. She’s such a loving mom sometimes. How I wish I took swimming more seriously when I was young, it’s much easier to learn then n there.

I did not have much training for this race. The last long distance swim was during Ironman Langkawi which was 3.8K just half of this swimmathon’s 6.5K distance. My time in Langkawi was 2hrs 20mins, so without much improvement, I knew my time would be at least 5hours without any detour of the swim course and high waves plus strong current. This year, I vow to try to do more different events and races, so swimmathon was already in my new year’s resolution which I have to promise myself to tackle for this year. With much anticipation, I enter for it and I do not want to put too much stress and pressure to myself, so I told myself to treat this as a good open water swim training, have fun with friends and TriSportz team, get to know new friends and of course just to enjoy east coast of Malaysia which I have never really been to at all.

We flew and arrived at Marang on Friday night, stayed one night near the jetty. Fetch a cab to go to our hotel. It was such a long straight road without much to look at. It was such a quiet Malay town, at Friday night there was nothing already, then I know it’s a PAS control town so Friday is praying and rest day for them so nothing going on. The hotel room was very basic, but at least a place to stay for one night and get ready for tomorrow’s speed boat transfer to Kapas Island. We were starving already, but it’s just so hard to find a place to eat. Finally we located one, ate some and ready for bed. Lucky the bed was firm and I had a good night’s rest.

Saturday morning registration was at 9am. It was so happening already. With many of the swimmers arriving from KL, Johor and Singapore, the jetty was full of us already. I was so happy to meet all the Trisportz gang again and of course I miss Mr. & Mrs. Chan very much too. This year they have the highest registration swimmers, over 300ppl registered, my number was nearly the last ones already. I am number 551. The registration process went smooth and we checked our booked air-conditioned room in Pulau Kapas then off we wait to be transfer to the island. I met two of my long time friends Zoe and Rae. We were all so excited and we saw the State’s Kayak team practicing at the jetty too.

The boat transfer was fast and the island was just so beautiful. I have never been to East Coast of Malaysia’s island, this is just amazing. Upon arrival, I could see the crispy clean water with many fishes swimming there just underneath the jetty. It was like seeing them at their natural habitat, no more aquarium, it’s real ! Registration to our room was fast, lucky the air-condition room was basic but comfortable. My first activity was to get into the sea immediately, the water was warm and we swam out abit and saw so many different corals and fishes. The underwater world was amazing. I just want to stay inside this real aquarium forever and be a mermaid to swim with all of them.

Underwater world was quiet and happening as well with many colors on display. The corals with different shape and sizes and there were just so many different types of fishes, sea urchins, clams etc. We met up with Yip and Eric, and all of us went on foot to travel abit to see what other beaches that this huge Kapas island provide. There we discover well construct walk paths for people to walk around the island, some places do not have people staying, which turns into our own private beach. It was amazing, I know my next trade to learn must be scuba diving already.

After lunch we went for a short one hour Kayaking trip. I have never done that before, it was so fun to me, then after a while, my arms did start to get tired. At 4pm we stopped and went for Mr. Chan’s race briefing. His performance was mostly the same during every race, but I love to see him every time with his moves and his jokes, but this time he also introduces Eugene to all of us that next year Eugene will be the one who handles all this. Mr. Chan took his time to explain everything to us and the “suppose” safety precaution which never really materialize during the race at all. Lucky I kept on asking people where should we aim for, if not I just completely lost in the sea. But there were 70+ kayaks so I still have a little faith in these personnel.

After briefing, we met up with Eddie, and went for a short swim again before dinner. I just didn’t have enough of the water but I cannot tired myself out, so off we went back to hotel room for shower and heading out for dinner. We didn’t stay long afterwards and went straight to bed for a early night sleep before the race on Sunday morning. All these while I kept staying energetic but calm, but inside me, I could only pray hard to God and his angels to look after me throughout the race tomorrow.

Race breakfast was at 5am and body marking at 6.15am. we were all so ready and checked out from our rooms and packed up all our bags to be transfer back to Marang. I still manage to stay very calm. The weather was perfect, but I still put on sunscreen to protect myself. Before the race start, I ask about the current, I already aim for where I am going, located the landmark but did not really see any buoy and the marine boat didn’t seem to know where it’s suppose to be going too. I know already I have to navigate and stay calm. I choose my safest breast stroke to complete and hope to finish it all within the cut off time 4hrs 15 minutes.

We start off at 7.30am, I stayed at the back so I was calm when started the race. The sea was choppy. I did not follow anyone but to trust what I remember to locate at the start. The people immediately split into two groups, one to the right one to the left, I stayed in the middle and calmly navigate my way throughout this ordeal. I asked one time to the kayak people where are we suppose to aim for, he pointed and told me, then I just have to trust myself all the way.

I had so much mixed feeling during this 4hours 30mins inside the sea. Although I DNF but I had lots to take home with and able to relate my life to. In life, there were many doubts and uncertainties, we knew where we wanted to get to, many people also have the same goal but there are just so many ways so vast a space for us to choose your own way to get where you wanted to be. Just like at the start, we all have one goal is to swim across the channel to get back to Marang, but the sea was so wide, the beach on the other side was so vast, we just have to pick out landmark and follow our instinct and go with the flow.

In life, many people will just simply follow what tips are given to them. I listen to the tips but choose to navigate my way through the choppy sea. I was afraid if I totally simply follow people, what if they are going the wrong way, then who should I blame but myself. My swimming skills was not good already, I have no time to waste and no time to make up if I detour from the course. I stayed calm and navigate through. I saw many people had to hold onto kayaks for rest and drink water, but I didn’t feel I had to do so, I stayed calm and just move on. Heard my friend was yelling for help to the kayakers but they ignored him, I felt bad that I had to move on and left him behind as I was not a good swimmer, I know help will come to him, I had to move on. Later on, I saw him zig zag infront of me, I so wanted to pull his leg and tell him to go my way, but I decided not to as I don’t want to disturb and make him panic. I felt so bad I can only hope that he will be OK and will look for him at the finishing.

My whole body does feel good up to more than 2 hours, when hunger starts to strike my tummy, the sea water became so salty and yucky inside my mouth, sea bugs stung was itchy, I just want to get this over with. The sea was clean, I was able to look and observe sun beam shining upon it. I know God will look after me all the way. As I approach closer and closer, I could see the red balloon flying, the glowing from all white tents along the beach, the sandy beach etc, I know I am at the right path and will eventually get there soon. But psychologically, this is the hardest part as it’s like so close yet so far and the waves started to pick up and the current was so strong.

I know I would not be complete on time. I thought at least I try to get closer, I might have a chance for them to let me finish, the kayakers were OK but the police had to pick me up. I didn’t want to argue with him, so I became a bond-girl to sit from the back of him on his jet ski and he brought me back closer to the shore. I had to jump and swim to the shore which was not easy at all with high waves. Happy to cross the finishing arch, this is way tougher than Ironman or Xterra simply because of the distance and I do not have the swimming skills for it, I only have the endurance to go on and on. I drank the whole can of 100 Plus to replenish my body and wash away the salty taste of sea water. I DNF but still able to complete whatever I could, I did all my best out there with a smile, I have confronted this swimmathon challenge. What a relieve and a milestone for my life and passion for ourdoor sports activities.

I am just an ordinary girl doing amazing things which many people dreaded to even think and dream about. But with a healthy body, a strong mind, an attitude of perseverance, anyone with a good fit body can start to train up themselves and set a goal to target for to start to make their sedentary or gym going life more interesting. Once you have take on a challenge and able to do your best and try to complete it, the feeling was life transforming and you felt as if you have conquered the world too.
Stayed one night at Marang.
Arrive at Marang jetty.
Registration in progress.
On the speed boat to Pulau Kapas.
Arrive at the resort.
Very basic but with air-con.
Meet up with Yip brothers and trvel along the beach and snorkeling together.
Lovely beach.
1st time kayaking.
Arrive for race briefing.
Evening at the beach again.
Race day body marking.
At the start of the race.
Just finish the race.
Tried my best to complete whatever I can with a smile.
Outdoor shower and get change.
Ready to go back.
Good-Bye Marang. I will be back =D

1 comment:

  1. hi TerrorGetic Bunny. Are u training for kapas marang 2016? which pool?

    ReplyDelete