Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ultraciously Amazing Performance - Adidas Sundown Marathon 2009

I never believe that I will enter such an event but I believe participants like us, we all do enjoy the torture and suffering on our mind, body and soul. I did Adidas Sundown Marathon 42K last year, and I was already amazed by all those runners’ amazing achievements on attempting the seemingly impossible Ultra Marathon 84K to attain the Ultracious Status on their Running Resume.

This year I thought it will be my turn to try to achieve that status, I only enter because I have the guts to enter, not because I have done enough training nor I have enough rest and sleep prior to that. That has proven to be a seriously wrong move on my part. I should have known that to achieve and to evolve from a Marathoner to an Ultracious Marathoner was serious business; it was full of hard training, focus, and determination, most important of all, the emotional support and comradeship among a group of seriously determined runners. I was so touched by all these feelings, I want to congratulate to all of you for your amazing achievements.

I have never been to a race in such a rushing mode, thank you for my dear friend Audrey for her help on last minute booking the hotel for us, so at least I have a nice room to stay after my race was done. We stayed at the Changi Beach Club which was en-route of the run. I was so tempted to run back to my room after I nearly completed my first lap. From my Hotel, Audrey accompany me through a super nice and romantic boardwalk towards the starting line, this was a very good warm up for me.

I have myself to blame for my poor performance, I did not get enough sleep during the whole week, I was rushing to get to Singapore, I only manage to reach to deposit my Special Needs Bag at 6.30 p.m. then I have no time to spare before getting to the starting point. I was lacking behind on my long distance run training, I spend too much time cycling. I should prioritize my training time better for my upcoming events.

At the start of the race, I thought I have a good slow pace to start with, I saw many friends along the way, I did not make an effort to try to stick with them for emotional support along the way, I thought I can run by myself and everything will be alright. This was so wrong. Now I began to realize no matter what kind of races you are in, you also need friends to support you along the way. I was running alone most of the time, the course was flat and it was a torture to my mind with no one to talk to.

Upon reaching the starting point again after I finished the first loop, I was so tired already, and then I realized that I ran too fast too soon, I should take my own sweet time. My lower back was aching, my knees are in pain, ankles are burning and my bunions on both side of my feet was simply killing me on my every step. I got change inside the tent that was provided to us, when I was alone there, I kept thinking should I quit or should I go on. In the end, my mind just could not take it anymore and told my body to shut down. I should join with my friends and together we will get through this emotional torture part. I believe mind over body, this time clearly my mind was weaker than I thought and my body gave up on me.

I should have never underestimated this kind of Ultra Races. To attain an Ultracious Status/ Title was not easy, all cheers, hail and salute to my friends and buddies who have finished this amazing race. You all made me speechless; you all have demonstrated an Ultraciously Amazing Performance on human’s endurance level. I am so proud of you all and I am proud to even have the guts to enter the race. I have pledged to myself to complete this 84K race next year, but this time I will be more fully charged and well prepared and most importantly I will stick to you all for emotional support along the way. Once again, cheers, hail and salute to all the Ultracious Marathoners !!!
At Adidas Sundown, all geared up and ready for flagoff.
Me and the legendary Mohan !!!
Being cheeky at the starting area.
Me with Peter Chan the Ultra man !!!
Mohan !!! ur the man !!! next yr I need to pace myself to run with this Legend !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment