Thursday, December 9, 2010

Standard Chartered KL Marathon – 42K -280609

I did not sleep well the night before the race. Maybe because of the excitement which has been build up inside me? This was my second Standard Chartered bank organized Marathon and since it has been a StandChart brand marathon, we all have a certain standard in mind already. I understood all the complaints and hate messages that have come up from the runners. Look at it this way, no one is perfect and we should have a thankful and forgivable heart so that the organizer will have more space for improvements for next year’s SCKLM which we are all already looking forward to.

I woke up at 2a.m. and started consuming my breakfast, while waiting for them to digest inside my system, I started to get dress and get ready to make a move to ensure a good parking spot for me. I left around 3:15a.m. I ate two buns, one packet of chocolate milk, one small bottle of chicken essence and some favorite Jelly Bellies.

So excited to get to the parking lot, I saw the volunteers getting ready there and I appreciated all their effort for executing this event for all of us. Many runners started to arrive gradually and I could feel the excitement started to build up as we started to walk together towards Dataran Merdeka. As we all gathered around the area, I met so many friends; we were all excited and could not wait to get started. I saw my Si-Fu Terrance which has somehow became a sensation to many runners already, we took pictures together and he has come up with certificates for runners who could hold up and tell others “this is my 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc Marathons”; what an effort that he has put in to encourage others.

Terrance’s wife Mable is a Cervical Cancer survivor. She had her operation not long ago. Doctor said she had to rest at least nine months but she was able to run a full marathon within six months! This was very amazing indeed. Her real life story can start to inspire other people that by leading an active lifestyle, your body will recover at a much faster rate and you can return to the sporting scene sooner than expected too. I pray for her speedy recovery and so happy to know that she did a 5 hours 20 minutes time. I believe with Terrance’s TLC and all the runner’s support and prayers, she will keep running to infinity and beyond! Way to go, my dearest Mable. I pray to God to watch out for all of us and especially to Mable.

We started off with a slight drizzle which was a blessing from God to lower the temperature down for us to have a cool start. I always love to run in a drizzle with many runners together, my full marathon started off at 5a.m. I already told myself to keep my pace at 10K per hour, concentrate on my breathing and try my best to maintain this pace throughout the race.

The route was carefully chosen which seemed to take me through a running journey of nearly all the scenic spots in Kuala Lumpur. I was grateful given the opportunity to run in all these very busy streets of Kuala Lumpur. I kept my breathing pace and I was still able to do my sight-seeing part. The weather was super nice, cooling and refreshing without the heavy traffic.

For the first 20K for me was no problem keeping up my pace, it was always the second half that you will feel the running effect that strain your body. I kept praying to God to keep me save from injury and hope to have a good and enjoyable run. But when reaching the 25K mark, I felt the stress on my thighs because I kept pushing very hard to keep my 10K per hour pace.

I started praying to God to “take my pain & suffering away” and God heard my prayers, I did not feel that much pain, although the strain was still there but I was able to sustain. When there were times I felt so alone, I kept praying to God to please “send your angles to run with me, so I would not be alone”, God heard my prayers, I met uncle Chong from Ipoh, he was sitting by the pavement and applying deep heat lotion, when he saw me, he quickly close the cap of the lotion, ran next to me and kept me pace for the last 10K of the harsh run.

Throughout the last 10K, we pace one other without saying a word though because we were totally focus on our breathing, so if I did not say hello to any friends which I ran past, please kindly forgive me as I did not dare to disturb my breathing at all. I thank God for sending his angels to me, pace me to the finishing line. I know God and his angels were with me the whole time. God never left me alone, as I believe, I pray, God will hear my prayers and I shall receive. I strongly believe in that as I have achieved my personal best timing for a full marathon. My clock in time was 4 hours 05 minutes.

I would not complain that much because I wanted to be more appreciative into the time and effort which the organizer, the volunteers, the police force etc. has put in to ensure the event runs smoothly as an event of this magnitude was not easy to manage at all.

The organizer has put out ample pacing signages to encourage runners how far they still have to go, the water stations has been located at strategic points of the race with quite sufficient of water, I wish they could supply with more bananas and chocolates or powerbars along the way after the 20K mark though. They have supplied us with power gels and I hope they can supply more gels along the 30K mark onwards too.

I heard that there was not enough water and deep heat lotion for the later runners, I hope the organizer will take note of that because we have certain expectations for a StandChart Brand of Marathons already, question is when it has more than enough supply for StandChart Singapore Marathon, how come insufficient for the KL Marathon? I think that was the question which startled the people here. The traffic was carefully controlled by police force though and I do felt a little better than when KL Marathon was organized by AM Bank last year.

Name: WONG KAR YAN ELAINE (HKG)
Net Start: 04:58:11 Category: Full Marathon 42km
Net Time: 04:05:27 Position: 026
Finish Timing: 04:05:27.42

So happy to finally locate myself in the sea of runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment