Thursday, December 9, 2010

My first Full Marathon – 42km of grueling ‘fun’ – December 2nd 2007

The bus ride to Singapore was a long haul with traffic exacerbating the situation. We bunked at a red light district after registration and Indian Food was dinner which really did not appeal. My friend on the hand dived in so I went along. The next morning I was nervous just as I am before a marathon. The 42km run was the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2007.

It was my first full marathon and I did not know what to expect. Over the months I was much into cycling my cool Raleigh 20speed and with all that cadence, I neglected some vital aspects in marathon training, but keeping fingers crossed, I thought I should be fine.

My pre-race carbo was off-tangent and Indian food always churned my gut. I was remiss in packing the camera but the organizers had the photography sorted out. Bringing a sack full of stuff was unnecessary and cumbersome as there were many people with just as many sacks and no place to store them. Well, next time I will travel light.

I forgot the first rule of thumb or rather ‘feet’. Never start a 42 km marathon like a 100 meter sprint. Folks, that is exactly what I did. I was excited and thought my energy source was infinite. I failed to notice that the blazing sun does not discern. As the 5 and 10k markers approached, I felt fine, energetic, then 22 came up and legs felt rubbery. My pounding heart got me thinking: “Oh, Gosh…I am only half way…”

As 38 approached, rubber legs turned wood and cramps crept up calves past knees to thighs. Wood turned lead and bad got worse which made me stop for some much needed deep-heat. Not having cramped before, it was surreal. At that point, I pondered my quick start but it was too late. I was drained. I had hit the famed ‘wall’

Then on, with 4km to finish, I walked like a wounded warrior and then unexpectedly I experienced then ‘finish line’ atmosphere. The crowd cheered loud enough to give me a much needed ‘rock star’ or rather ‘adrenaline’ rush, hence the name of my blog. I was addicted to, craved and soaked adrenaline in doses, picked up the pace and made it to the finish line running. A historic moment for which I am proud. 4 hours 43 minutes. ..I FINALLY DID IT!!!

I did not mingle, collected stuff rushed to my red-light and showered. Cramps subsiding I looked into the ‘finishers’ bag and there it was. My first full marathon finisher medal, an Adidas-T with “Finisher of 42K” emblazoned at the back. I felt and still feel proud of my achievement. I will definitely recommend Singapore to beginners. They break you in easy. Organization is flawless. Logistics are there. Being mostly flat, the course is relatively easy. This year I am prepared and ready to kick some serious ass. I learned a lot throughout the race. Under 4 hours is a tall order but with enough adrenaline, I will tip the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment