Thursday, December 9, 2010

Who & What inspire me to take up MTB

Time flies by. I have known him for a year now. He is an avid cyclist, excel in both road and mountain bike. Since the time I have known him, I have learned a lot from him.

When I first look at his facebook page, I saw many of his photos. Many are about road cycling and mountain biking and of course many are being on the podium winning many different races. I am so used to cycle road bike with him already, so all those mountain biking photos are amazing to me. I started to ask him what it was like to cycle inside jungles, plantations and trails.

My first mountain bike event was Enelope Mountain Bike Carnival in Singapore, I registered for the duathlon and he registered for the 100K Mountain Bike Marathon. I have never ride a mountain bike before, I just joined the race and hope that I will come out ok. I borrowed a mountain bike from my friend and I completed the race and survive with an amazing third place!!! Although this was due to only four girls participated and one girl DNF, I fell in love with mountain biking already.

Coincidentally this year Malaysia turns out to be the first Asia country to host Xterra. Since I am a triathlete, I read a lot of magazines talking about this event that was held in foreign countries. So this will be the best time to join this special race held in Malaysia.

I wanted to join immediately but my concern was I did not have a mountain bike, I did not know how to do mountain biking as well. Since I am so committed to this and want to have enough time to practice on my mountain bike and trail riding skills, I finally decided it was time to invest on a mountain bike, hence my third baby was born.

I really needed his help in choosing bicycles since he is very experienced in this; he helped me pick my second road bike which is a Scott Contessa. He found the mountain bike which was suitable for me, again it is a Scott Contessa. So now I have twins and my eldest was still my Raleigh which I will never be parted with.

I wanted to thank him so much, he knew that I am preparing for this race, he took me to Batu Dam and FRIM to practice, teach, motivate and encourage me not to be scared with the trails and obstacles ahead, I feel so touched by all these. I still remember he told me the most important thing to keep in mind was that: “Just look at the trail on where you are going, then you will be fine.”

He took me for my first KLMTBH, taught me all the things that I have to beware of. I was so scared on that first plantation ride without knowing where to go, so he became my guide. I felt very safe whenever he is around me. I cannot wait for my second KLMBH event already.

My second KLMBH was the Epic 55K ride which I have to go without him. I do not have the skills but base on my love for mountain biking and my guts, I went for it. Luckily I have the stamina and endurance to get me through this tough ride, I went with other friends, but I ended up being the only one to complete the whole ride.

During that ride, I was alone most of the time, thinking that I knew I can do it, I will be OK, I tried some of the downhills then I fell pretty bad but the experience was awesome. Until I reach to checkpoint 5, I knew it was getting late already, but without hesitation, I went for checkpoint 6 because it would be a waste to finish through a chicken loop. My spirit kept me going to the very end. Although I was the last to come out, I want him to feel proud of me, I am very proud of myself. Thank you Sifu, my dear teacher, guide and coach.

I love my 661 helmet n My Scott Contessa MTB !!!
At Batu Dam.
Got 3rd Place in Enelope Mountain Bike Duathlon.
On a borrowed MTB during my 1st MTB duathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment