Thursday, December 9, 2010

PCC IS2009 Riding Experience – “Keep on Pedaling to Infinity & Beyond !!!”

Recently I am honored to be invited by Cycling Asia to write about my feelings and experience towards participating PCC’s Interstate 2009. This is my second year joining this meticulously organized multi day cycling event. This year, the route start from Seremban to Gemas to Gunung Ledang and finally to Melaka. We were all looking forward to this trip.

For me, when I heard about Gunung Ledang, I remembered the mystical story that people told me before so I was already mesmerized by this mystical mountain. The final destination was to Melaka, I love that historical city very much so I immediately signed up for this trip. I was also thinking since we will end up in Melaka, why not we take one more day to cycle back from Melaka back to Seremban. So we start to enquire around and see who wants to do one more day of cycling to complete the whole loop. In the end, he, Vong and me did the final loop.

After been cycling with him for quite some time, I began to know what to expect for a multi day cycling event. Preparation was very important. We pack very light and be ready with necessary food, gels, bars and of course electrolyte and recovery powder. He also prepared with extra tubes, lubricants, tyres etc and of course our helmets, gloves, sun glasses, tail light and sun block.

We had a good start on the first day, I was very happy as this year as I thought I will be cycling with him, but mostly I was alone by myself and joining other groups. I worried about what happen to him because I was much faster and reach the hotel before him, when he came back, he told me that he had to help out a lot of cyclists, and he is forever helpful to everyone in distress just as I have always known him.

I think for the first day, everyone will not forget about the treacherous climb that we had to suddenly encounter. I heard that it was a 17 degrees climb. To me, no matter about the gradient, many were suffering with a smile on that climb because we saw the photographer enjoying our suffering smile. Many had to dismount, but gladly I did not. Pushing one heavy step at a time, I completed the climb.

At night, we all have our annual PCC Interstate group photo taken and had a wonderfully sumptuous dinner together. I was happy to see everyone enjoying themselves, taking pictures with one another etc. Every night we would have our briefing for the next day, although everyone was tired with sore legs, but still manage to listen attentively as no one wants anything to happen.

I know actually everyone was looking forward to the powerpoint photo session at the end. A picture speaks a thousand words, when they saw themselves and everyone else suffering on that hill with a smile and all the effort that the organizer had put up with, we all appreciated very much and of course looking forward to more suffering and torture ahead.

Second day was cycling to Gunung Ledang. We had to encounter many rolling hills, long straight stretch of the road leading to the resort, I kept thinking when was this going to end because my saddle was killing me. I was so happy that I can cycle mostly with him today. He was trying his best to pull me close to the first peloton, but I was not cut out for that yet, so thank you for his effort, I will try my best to keep up.

I heard many stories about him from many cyclists on the road, the story was the same. I felt bad sometimes as I was not a strong cyclist, he will be cycling so fast to be with the first peloton, I never mind about all this then in the first peloton, he will slow down and pull aside and keep looking back for me, cyclists pass by him already know why he did that, so they will be telling him that I was fine and coming, it was very sweet, thank you for looking out for me.

The resort at Gunung Ledang was quite good. We did not go to spend time at the water fall but instead we went to the swimming pool to chill out after the ride. Though I wish the hotel has more things for tourists to do. As usual at night after the briefing, many cyclists did not want to go back to their room just yet, I saw many groups chit chatting throughout the night, exchanging different cycling moments, everyone just relax and laugh till late.

For many of them, the third day cycling to Melaka will complete the trip. I can see the excitement when everyone gathered around at the starting area getting all geared up and ready for their last day of cycling. I remembered that my legs were sore and muscle ache very bad already, but I had a wonderful time cycling with him.

This route we encountered many lovely plantations which were shaded. When we were so near to Melaka, I saw the Eye Of Malaysia next to the sea side, I have always longed to see sea side again and so happy to cycle to the historical resort of Baba House in Melaka. The hotel was so beautiful in this historical city make all the trip worthwhile.

This year the organizer chooses to end the trip in a great historical city which has lots to offer to tourists. We were lure by the Chicken Rice at Jonker Street and we all went for a relaxing full body massage to relax the tension on our body before we adjourn for our dinner, we went to the famous Ais Kacang. Everyone anticipated for the dinner time at the hotel, many exchanging their stories and waiting for the food to come. After dinner was the traditionally sharing time which the organizer will ask the new first time cyclists to join Interstate to share their experiences and we all ended a high note that night.

We went back to Jonker Street for night market shopping. While walking around, I saw one of the perfect gift which I want to buy for the special him and many of my cycling friends. There were many stalls selling wiring products made by hand. The one I saw was a tiny small wire bicycle. I chose one of the stall and asked them to make a special one for me and him with our names attached with it and I purchased many for my friends.

I am so sorry that those could not be personal ones as I was pressing on time. They were having a drink at the Geographer and having a good time. Later on I presented the small gift to them, the meaning to it was “Keep on Pedaling to Infinity and Beyond “!!! I should buy more of this gift to motivate more people to keep cycling and never give up.

There were only three of us to choose to ride the last day from Melaka back to Seremban. I was sober and ready to go, my body was aching though. He was very tired because of the late night and so off we went. We took a more relaxing pace today and hope to catch the coach just in time back to the Seremban Hotel. We did that and on-time.

I wanted to specially thank all those friends and families who take up the responsibility to become the support car driver. It was not easy to become one as they need to know when and where to stop. Always ready for food and water and some took great amazing photos as well. Thank you for always cheer us up on the road and supply us with food, water and of course a big warm smile on your face and motivating words.

Last but not least of course I want to thank PCC, our Interstate event organizer. Thank you for organizing such a big and successful event for us all to enjoy. We appreciate all your effort you put forth. All the signages you help to put out before we start our trip, you wait for us at the critical junction to prevent cyclists over shoot, the big smile and cheerful words you shout to us, all the kind photographers who enjoy our pain and suffering and took our wonderful pictures, the lecture on safe peloton riding skills, the reminder to prevent potholes on the road, the food you have organized to put out for us to devour, the bicycles storage you have organized for safe keeping our bikes and many more. Thank you once again and we are all waiting for the next Interstate2010 which I am willing to help out in whatever way I can. “Keep on Pedaling to Infinity & Beyond !!!”

All geared up & ready to go for my 2nd Instate Trip.
Happy drafting behind.
At Gunung Ledang Resort, chit chatting through the night, also the best photo shoot time.
At Baba House Melaka, what a joyous gang we had, Cheers to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment