Thursday, December 9, 2010

My second Full Marathon - Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2008

I have learned so much from my first full marathon at Singapore. My 2nd one was in Hong Kong, my home country. I have been longing for my trip back home. The Hong Kong Standard Chartered Marathon has been going on for years and has gained so much recognition worldwide. I was very fortunate to start my first Standard Chartered Marathon in Singapore, this is my second one, throughout the year they sponsor 4 big marathons and I am so happy to have the opportunity to join two of them.

I went back to HK during Chinese New Year. The weather was cold, it was one of the coldest winter which they have been having since 10 years ago, which makes me think about climate changes and we have to be more concern about what we are doing to the earth.

Although the weather was cold but with my family around to support me, the HK’s media and Standard Chartered bank’s motivational support, I am so into the momentum to practice well for this race. I started doing marathons and training in KL which the weather is hot, good that I have read a lot about training under cold climate through Runner’s World magazine. I got myself all geared up and head out for my early morning practice.

I enjoyed the wind blowing into my face, I planned my route to include flats, hills, ran through the city till I get to the famous HK harbor. It was worth it, the view was breath taking. I enjoyed people looking at me funny, running at this wee hours, occasionally I saw some runners too; we smile and acknowledge one another. We know we have put up a lot of effort in getting ready for this race.

I am so prepared for my race day. My sister walked with me and gave me full support. We walk from home to Tsim Sha Tsui’s starting point, many were there already warming up. Me too I started to warm up and taking pictures with my sister. I know she’s so proud seeing me first time competing in a full marathon. Since I started running, I finally quit my years of being a smoker and make my sister proud of my changes into a better and healthier lifestyle.

As time is closing by, runners started to assemble at the starting line, I am so excited and I also remember this time no rushing, no need to hurry since I already have expected time in my mind. As long as I am doing 10Km in 1 hour then my time will be within 4 hours. I am aiming to do that and without cramming my legs. I have my water bottle, chocolates and power gel ready. Being among all the Hong Kongers, it felt very warm in my heart. I missed Hong Kong and missed Hong Kongers.

Sister Grace so excited seeing all the commotion. I know this will be a motivation for her to commit herself to start running and will do the race with me next year. I love the atmosphere. Although not many cheerers but everyone’s momentum is the motivation to everyone, the scene is breathtaking. I love to be able to see the organizer block many highways for runners to enjoy the run, for once, runners rule the road! We were able to pass through many places. This time I know how to post for photographers on the road. I appreciate their work for capturing us in motion.

The run was very nice, weather’s nice. Markers are easy to see. My time was quite OK, I felt excited to see that I am able to run with a comfortable pace. Every 10K I still felt good and I think the nice weather also contributed to my best personal time. We pass through famous Tsing Ma Bridge and went through the Under Water Tunnel, I am able to have a strong finish, rushing adrenaline pumping my whole body, run with all my strength back to the finish line with everyone cheering.

I know my whole family will be supporting me, as I ran through the finish line, I am so happy to heard my sister shouted to me and she was able to spot me and took my finishing pictures !!! I also get to meet her boy friend Andy’s mom and his mom’s running buddies, what a happy picture. With my whole family support, I finish my race with my Personal Best Time of 4 hours 18 minutes!!! What an achievement, so proud of myself.



At the starting line. I am able to walk from my house to the start line for a good warm up.
Serious about my stretching.
Grace snapped the finishing pic for me. I am so touched by my whole family came all the way to the finishing line to support me.
Me and my sister Grace a.k.a Noney :D, I love this picture very much. Long time I don't even have a picture taken with my lovely sister Grace Kar Wei.

No comments:

Post a Comment