Thursday, December 9, 2010

Determination to learn cycling

I don’t have the privilege to learn how to ride a bike when I was a little girl in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a small city, very crowded and congested with limited space, so I learn how to ride a bike when I am approaching to my late 20’s. Already expected to be hard to learn since I will be using a medium size road bike to learn. My determination to be able to become a triathlete and ultimately to become an Iron Lady gave me the adrenaline to learn it by myself in a community park in Bukit Jalil.

I have never ride a bicycle in my whole life before. Don’t even know how it feels like with the wind blowing into my face. I can cycle really well using a stationary bike. I watched cyclists cycling really fast during Tour de France. I began to imagine one day it’s going to be me. One day as me and Mr.Lee was visiting one of his friends Mr.Wong who actually has bicycles at home, Mr.Lee took me out for a ride and feel what it’s like to be on a bicycle. I love it and will never forget this experience.

My first borrowed bicycle was a Merida, my friend Eric taught me my first two cycling lessons. It’s very hard to balance on it and with the hot weather scorching my whole body, my determination was the only thing to keep me going. I kept falling and falling and the bike kept giving me scratches here and there. Road bike isn’t beginner friendly at all. I know once I get the hang of it then everything will be fine. I have got to ride it!!! Finally one afternoon after countless rise and fall, I began my baby steps of riding on that bike without falling. I was so happy. All the hard work was worth it. Then I know it’s time for me to learn how to change gears.

Changing gears are not easy. But with determination and hard work, I got through with it. After countless hours of practicing alone in the park, I am getting the hang of it, then I have to push myself into gaining my on-the-road experience with this bike. First I join with Eric’s cycling group, they met every Tuesday and Friday 9.30p.m. at Sri Petaling L.R.T Station and cycle through Kesas Highway and back. The trip was around 20KM.

I was quite nervous in joining their group as I will be the only female member. All the men were very friendly to me, taught me lots of skills and took turns to look after me and make me not feel so intimidated. I began slowly progressing my skills and gaining more confidence on myself. All thanks to them.

I didn’t know what to expect when first time on the road and it was at night. With countless motor bikes passing by, many tunnels and road bumps, I got scared when inside the tunnel and so unsteady when pass over road bumps. I was scared about the motor’s noise. I fell down really bad on my first several rides, but still not scared of the ride because of the wind and adrenaline pumping and my determination I did it. I learned it all by myself !!! So proud of myself. I found my love for bicycles and cycling. I began to feel that I am part of their “Wild Hearts Nite Ryders” Team member. My adrenaline will take me through my first long distance cycling trip and many many more ahead. I know I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment