Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ride & Camp – Sg.Liang, Raub 13-140609

I have always been fascinated about camping outdoor inside the luscious jungle. What is better than to have a weekend’s fun and thrill which could combine my two most favorite outdoor activities together and to celebrate his birthday with him. When I read about PCC’s MTB ride and Camping trip at Sg,Liang, Raub, immediately I jump into it and ask him to come along with me. This was a trip we all were looking for to get some fresh air despite our hectic working schedule.

I have never tried outdoor camping before and this time was doing mountain biking and camping together, it was such a thrill already. Since we were cycling into the jungle plantation with our back packs on, so we had to pack very light weight. He was very experienced in outdoor camping and living, I learned a lot from him starting with the preparation. We only carry necessary things inside our back packs, at first I tried to simply pack bread to be eaten for 2 days, so I did not have to bring anything for cooking, I thought this could limit the weight of the back pack. But he told me outdoor cooking will be very fun and convince me to try it out.

I thought about it and decided to cook a simple fresh vegetable soup for him on his birthday. I brought along sweet corn, mushrooms, broccolis and packet chicken soup as the base. He brought along his favorite Maggie Mee for dinner and breakfast. We went to Core Zone for some outdoor living shopping too; he brought a small outdoor cooking set and a titanium small pot. Luckily he brought me an outdoor multipurpose pants which I found it to be very useful later on.

The weather was great that morning, we had to drive up to Raub and the whole group meet up there, there were around 22 of us and we started to convoy into the Naza Plantation, it was quite a drive before we get to the outside of the plantation. Luckily we have a 4WD to get to the inside of the plantation, took us nearly an hour to reach the parking area since the terrain was very rough and uneven; we had to drive with care and precision.

We have special permission to be able to park inside the plantation and everybody was very anxious to ride in and we all get ready really fast. After a short briefing, off we go. I have never cycle with my back pack on, so at first I was struggle with it and the back pack was not light weight at all after we pack and compact all things in.

At that time I still did not know that we have made a near fatal mistake by not knowing which back pack consists of what things inside. I was too tired when he was doing the packing, I dosed off which I should have never done, we should pack the bags together and knowing what was inside which bag and stay close to one another while cycling.

From the estate quarters which we parked our cars, the ride into the camp site was around 18K+ and mostly were gentle climb under the thick tree canopy, at first I thought it would be more comfortable because we did not have to be scorch by the sun. The ride was a combination of plantation tracks, ex-logging trails with some wide and some narrow sessions. I could see that the trail had been heavily used by many 4WD.

These days the weather has been very hot but with occasional showers. Since the trail was cover by tree canopy, it kept the moisture within the soil. Parts of the trail were filled with sticky mud and patches of muddy water. With constant 4WD activities going on, the tyres made the trail tracks became two ravines. Some of them were very steep and we were only able to cycle the middle of it. My bike handling skills was not confident enough and I fell many times. With my back pack on my back which made the fall more painful and hard to get up.

Some parts of the trail were very muddy which we had to push a lot. The mud could easily get upon your knees; I had to crawl out from it. Although it was 18K+ climb but it felt like more than 40K+ to me. We had to pass through at least three streams to get to the camp site, at critical junction the trail was already marked by red tape, all thanks to PCC’s leader, so we all know where to go.

There were many incidents that caused ripples in my mind. First was that happened at the beginning of the ride, some branches caught into his rare derailer AGAIN !!! I was so scared to see his face turn black color, he looked really annoyed and we had to stop and he try his best to fix it, the derailer was slightly bent.

I remembered that during our Chinese New Year touring, I tried his road bike and I fell in the right side damaging the derailer, he was screaming and yelling by the road side because it could not be fixed and we were only in our third day ride and still many days to go on. He threw a tantrum at me and his bike. I gave up the ride, gave him my bike’s derailer, I had to quit the ride and return home in the midst of it. That incident was still very fresh in my mind, so I was very scared of him. Luckily some bikers stopped and helped us and finally we were back on track. Thank God for that.

After this we went on for a while, then pass a stream and he took my picture when he encouraged me to cross the stream with the bike and I fell, planting my face inside the jungle. It was quite a laugh, he asked me to go ahead which I did and proved to be very wrong. This was not the first time I did not wait for him. He always asked me to go ahead because he will sure catch up really fast. I did not hesitate, I went on.

Later then I learned that he had a puncture. He packed our bags so I did not know the tubes and pump was with me. He had to wait for others to pass by and lend him a tube and pump. I felt very bad for this. I left the birthday boy hanging there like that. Learned our lesson that we have to pack our bags together to avoid mishaps like that next time.

I arrived at the camp site much faster than him, I was quite surprise that I had to wait for so long till he arrive then I learned about his puncture. I had to clean up and when I open my bag then I saw the pump and tube. Yikes. Too late. The tent was with him, I only have food and my clothing. I could not wait any longer, went to the cold crystal clear river to clean up and went inside the thick bushes to get change and wait for him to arrive. I was very worried; I will never leave him like that ever again.

I was so relieved to see him again, thought he will lash out on me big time, but he kept his patience and taught me that no matter what I still have to wait and look back because we were cycling together. I was very sorry about what I have done. He helped me to set up the tent together. It was quite an experience for me, the tent looked like an Eskimo tent and he lay out his inflatable mattress and brought a mat for me. Then we set out to clean ourselves and we had to start cooking. I love his cooking utensils, very functional, he cooked his Maggie mee and I cook my vegetable soup for him. It was very sweet to play masak-masak, it was very fun. We took a lot of pictures together and enjoy the evening cooking, chatting and the night came very fast, we had an early night out, we were both really tired but very sweet. I cherish every moment of that.

We woke up to a fresh morning with a soft bright light and beautiful light beam at the back of our tents. We made coffee and cook Maggie mee again. I ate two breads for energy. We brought the cooking utensils to the river to clean up, he told me that we could use sand as natural cleaner and rinses them, and then he brought out his portable water filer. Taught me how to fill it up and pump into the water bottle, it was quite an experience and he sure knew how to live outdoor.

After we pack up, everybody started to leave, but he gave the camp one last check, found out that our friends did not fully distinguish the camp fire, lucky he did a final check on that. The camp site was beautiful but got many bees circulate around us, maybe we were too sweet for them?! We wished we could stay one more day doing jungle trekking and enjoy more outdoor cooking though. Next time we should organize one MTB and Camping trip with 3 days 2 nights.

Most of them would have a fantastic downhill experience coming out of the camp the next day, but for me it was hectic again as my mountain bike skills were limited and still scared of downhill. I push a lot of time to avoid falling down again. Coming out of the camp seems much faster though, took me two hours plus to come out. It was very fun and exciting, I was already yearning for the next trip. Happy to see the other cyclists still cleaning up in the parking area and he brought out his portable shower, at least we have a quick shower before coming out from the plantation.

I had a fantastically wonderful experience mountain biking and camping with him and other cyclists, I sincerely hope this will be a scheduled quarterly events for more roadies to get into the fun of mountain biking and start to appreciate what the nature can offer us. Simply cycling on busy highways and back roads were never enough for me.

OOOOpppps sigh.... failed :P
Celebrate General's birthday inside a cosy tent, sure very sweet.
At night after masak masak, I cook vegetable soup with brocoili & mushroom, he cook maggie mee :D
I love the freah outdoor early morning sun beam.
That's the General's portable water filter which I was pumping water from. General wants his water freah and FILTERED !!!
I was enjoying myself big time.
Finally coming outside of the plantation, had lots of fun, lots of downhills when coming back out, so for me.... um..... lots of pushing, I was still scared of downhill. Can't wait for the next trip already.

No comments:

Post a Comment