Thursday, December 9, 2010

Baling Duathlon 260709

After I started engaging in out-door sport and attending events and races, sports really took me to many places in Malaysia which I think even many Malaysians have never been before. Last weekend, a duathlon race organized by Trisportz took me to a beautiful place called Baling in Kedah. It was initially a 6K Run, 26K Bike, 6K Run event but due to logistic problems, the organizer have re-adjusted this into a 6.2K run, 32K Bike, 5K Run. This was my second short distance duathlon races which I join with Trisportz as the organizer, they have organized one with same distance at Pedu last year which I won third place and with a nice small little prize money too.

We did not follow the bus to go to Baling instead we drove there, I thought I brought the GPS with me but in the end I forgot, big mistake. We went into the exit which said Baling and we kept going and going without seeing the sign again and we over shot for another two more hours before we reach there. Luckily we found the hotel which we were supposed to stay and surprisingly that our hotel was just within walking distance to the race site, much closer than the official hotel.

Baling was tucked really in the middle inside of Kedah and it was hard for us to locate. Amazingly the town was quite vibrant with activities and with many town people. They were all kind and caring to us and offer us with support too. The receptionist in our hotel was friendly, spoke really good English and service us with a big smile also suggested us with places for a good dinner before the race as well. The small Chinese stall in front of our hotel which we had our dinner, the food was great and without MSG too. I loved it.

We had to drive to the official hotel for the briefing and race pack collection, with Mr. Chan as the organizer, everything went smoothly and he use the Google Map to Map out the whole course for us but we were too late for the practice ride before the race so we simply had to just take up the challenge tomorrow. Not too surprise by the 200+ participants that this weekend was full of different events going on, so many people have gone on doing other races and events, in my women’s category, there were only six of us. I came because Putrajaya IM has been delayed and without second hesitation I went to support this race and not others.

I woke up to a good morning, I did not have enough practice for this race though, so I simply treat this as a training event for me to just try my best to do so. After setting up everything and I am ready to go and have fun with all my friends. We started late but to our amazement we were all greeted and blessed by Lion dance, Mr. Chan was dancing to the music and kept us all entertained, so off we go.

The first 6K run was great, I was able to keep up and with consistent breathing; I kept my pacing with KRI’s Danny which he’s a strong runner amidst a strong cyclist as well. I always feel totally in control when I am running, for me 6K I do not need any water and the running route was very nice, all in kampung road and not many cars. I went in strong into the transition, took my bike and off I went again.

I have the least confident on my bike, after been running at a fast pace, switching muscles from running into cycling was very different. I am not a strong cyclist, so I simply had to keep my fingers crossed and keep praying to God that nothing will happen to me while I am on my bike. God really listen to my prayers, I was able to catch up with strong KRI’s Danny again and we pace each other again on the bike. Danny was such an angel to me, try really hard to help pulling me and we worked as a team for quite a while, until I could not keep up again and slowly I was very behind Dan. Dan slowed down a bit and tried waited for me, always keep an eye on me to make sure I was not too far off behind him. I was very touched, thank God for sending his angel again.

As I tried to catch up with Dan, I got into a bad cramp on my left calf and slowly getting onto my right calf, the only thing I could do is to keep on pedaling. I prayed to God to please take away my cramps on my calfs, amazingly slowly and gradually my cramps slowly subsided and I tried slowly to catch up with Dan. The cycling route was just great, roads were smooth, not many cars, air was fresh and after the cramps gone, I was able to keep a smile on my face as I keep on pedaling again. We went into the transition together and started off with our final run.

The cramped muscles slowly crept back up on my calfs again, still I had to slowly put on my running shoes and ran very slowly instead on resting those muscles which I think I did a good choice because slowly my cramps faded off again, but I could not slow down on my run if I slow down, the cramps will come back to me again, so I had to left Dan and ran off in a faster pace on my own, hope to get this done with soon. Again, 5K run, I did not take in water at the water station to avoid the diaphragm pain. I had a strong run, feelings great and my speedy legs took me to my first ever podium finish, I won the women’s category first place!!! Thank God. God works wonders. Thank you my dear friend, KRI’s Danny.

After waited for many of my friends finished their race, we cycle back to the hotel get cleaned up and went back to the starting line for the prize giving ceremony. The prizes were quite good every time when they organized an event in more out-station places like this, the prizes were quite good. We all had a wonderfully fun time and since it was going to be a long drive, we did not stay long, as we drove along the country road trying to get back onto the highway, we came to another small town and to our surprise we saw Secret Recipe Restaurant, never in my life staying in Malaysia have been so happy seeing this restaurant, so we went in and had a good after race lunch to replenish ourselves.

Overall, I want to thank Trisportz for organizing a short distance duathlon race every year, it must be very hectic for their company to fit in an event in such a short period of time. I will always support their event and looking forward to this coming up coming weekend’s Desaru LD Triathlon and Sprint, oh yes, this year I am doing both of them during one weekend, YIPPY !!!

All warmed up for the race.
Interviewed by TV crew.
MY First Winning !!! So happy and so unexpected. Thank God.
Hehe,Winning smile :D

No comments:

Post a Comment